Why I Chose Baptist's Nurse Anesthesia Program

A description of my interview at Baptist, the program in which I'm currently enrolled, can be found here.  The other school I applied to conducted their interviews in a similar fashion.  The day included an introduction, a meet-and-greet with current students, and an individual interview with members of the selection committee.

The tone of the day at this particular interview was, in my opinion, markedly different from my experience at Baptist.  Suffice to say, I felt that Baptist's administration arrived prepared and maintained a professional tone throughout the day.  They were proud of their institution - for good reason - and it showed.  Unfortunately, this isn't the same impression that I received from the other program I interviewed with.


As for the interview itself, it differed slightly as compared to Baptist's.  Seated at the head of the classroom, I faced roughly 8 members of the selection committee.  The interview was only around 5 minutes in length and consisted of a few behavioral questions as well as one "clinical" question.  Like the others interviewing that day, I feared the clinical question.

Fortunately, a CRNA forum I'd read months earlier (I don't recall which one) provided sage advice regarding clinical-related interview questions.  One of the CRNA contributors, in discussing interview questions, wrote (and I'm paraphrasing):

If you don't know the answer, say that you don't know the answer!  But follow it up with an example of what you would do in the clinical setting if faced with a similar situation (e.g. consult a reference manual, ask another anesthesia provider for assistance, etc.).

Former students at this particular school had also advised me to highlight my accomplishments in the interview but steer clear of any "one-off" experiences or areas that I was not incredibly  proficient in, as the committee generally drew the clinical question from the procedures and medications the interviewees had previously identified as being familiar with.  My clinical question involved the drug vasopressin and why I might choose to use it in lieu of epinephrine.  Fortunately, I had taken the time to review the important medications and disease processes affecting my patient population (Surgical/Trauma ICU) and was able to confidently answer the question.


I was fortunate in that I was accepted to both programs.  Ultimately, I chose Baptist because it better fit my goals and learning style.  Robin, Baptist's Program Secretary, was available, prompt, and helpful.  This is incredibly important to me as I've found that maneuvering my way through "the system" is often the most challenging aspect of higher education, and Robin makes that process as pain-free as possible.  Furthermore Baptist's Nurse Anesthesia Program Director, who teaches many of the classes, explains complex and abstract concepts in ways that resonate with my learning style.  I believed him to be an invaluable resource given the type and amount of information that I would need to understand in order to pass the board exam and provide safe and effective anesthesia care.  I also appreciated the well-rounded training offered to the Baptist students.  More than simply passing the certification exam at the end of their coursework, Baptist students are expected to develop professionally and benefit their communities, and are given the tools and freedom they require to do so.


Truthfully, it wasn't any one thing that led me to my decision to attend the Baptist program.  Part of it was the intangible feeling of excitement I had when I left the interview.  All I know is that Baptist was the right decision for me.  I would encourage anyone interested in becoming a CRNA to examine each option closely and remember that, while each program is interviewing you, you should simultaneously be interviewing them.  Ask yourself, is one program more conducive to your learning style than others?  If you learn best by doing, you might consider an integrated program, in which you engage in both class and clinical  at the outset (Baptist is organized in this manner).  Otherwise, a front-loaded program, in which classes take place for the first year or so before you begin clinical rotations, may be best.  Do you prefer a larger/smaller class size?  Does the program offer students a diverse set of clinical locations and opportunities?


Ultimately, the best school is the one that is best for you.