Why I Chose to Attend CRNA School

While a second-degree nursing student at UNC Chapel Hill, I was afforded the opportunity to observe an OR procedure.  I was assigned to an open heart surgery and was fortunate enough to work with a number of helpful and knowledgeable individuals that day.  The PA provided a general overview of the case and what to expect before the patient arrived, the surgeon took the time to describe his actions throughout the procedure, and the CRNA and SRNA present discussed the drugs they administered, why each was necessary, and those that they anticipated using as the case unfolded.  I was intrigued, and from that moment on, I knew that anesthesia was my calling.

Over the next 2 years, I researched the profession: I scoured the American Association of Nurse Anesthetist website and frequented online forums, spoke with and shadowed numerous CRNAs at a variety of institutions, and took the time to reflect on what I wanted from my career, both personally and professionally.

The time and effort I put forth prior to applying for and entering anesthesia school was invaluable.  It solidified my decision to become a CRNA and provided me with a clear understanding of the reasons behind this choice.  Over the next two-years I will no doubt encounter numerous low points that leave me to wonder if it's all worth it.  Fortunately, I'll already have my answer.