Tips on Interviewing for Anesthesia School (Part Deux)


Look on the bright side... At least you won't
be fielding questions from The Donald!

Now that the application deadline for the Nurse Anesthesia Program here at Baptist has come and gone, I've received a few emails requesting advice on how to prepare for the next harrowing hurdle on the road to becoming an SRNA - the interview.  (Sorry guys, but the term "harrowing", while not pleasant, is the most applicable adjective given the situation.)

I've written posts offering advice on this subject in the past (click on "The Application Process" tab located on the right to view these entries) but, like usual, I don't know when to quit and would be more than happy to provide you with additional information on the topic.  I should, however, alert you to the fact that my colleagues' interviews at Baptist were not identical to mine, and Baptist's interviews no doubt differ on a number of levels from those conducted elsewhere.  Thus, I'd like to encourage my classmates - along with the graduates or current students at similar programs - to add their advice in the comments section below.  If you are interviewing this year, please consider doing the same following your interview date to ensure that the information remains relevant and to assist those applying in the future.  As my classmate, Dave, would say, "preash!"

Now, without further adieu...

1.  Shadow a CRNA.  Seriously, people.  If you're only going to do one thing on this list, this is it.  This subject was broached in both of my interviews and I drew upon the experience in answering a number of questions.

2.  Read a few journal articles that relate to your current role as a critical care nurse, as well as some that are applicable to CRNAs.  I wasn't personally asked anything related to journal articles, but I know for certain that one person in my program was.

3.  Start discussions with and learn from colleagues in other disciplines.  For example, ask a respiratory therapist to walk you through the rarely-used settings on a ventilator.  This demonstrates an interest in important anesthesia concepts, a willingness to learn, and respect for other disciplines and would be a great example to reference when answering any number of interview questions.  Just be sure to retain the knowledge you gained (take notes if you have to!) so that you don't get caught off-guard by a follow-up question.

4.  Practice answering behavioral-type interview questions ("Tell us about a time when...").  My entire interview at Baptist as well as the majority of questions asked at my other interview centered around these kinds of questions.  Since I hold a bachelors degree in commerce and spent a few years as a peon in the business world prior to my foray into nursing, I felt quite comfortable with this style of interviewing.  However, not everyone does and that's okay - extra practice is all that's needed.  (I was much less comfortable answering clinical questions than many of my counterparts, so I spent the majority of my preparatory efforts there.)  I'll do my best to locate the practice interview questions that I used, which were given to me years ago by my older (and much, much wiser) sister, Katie.  (If I'm successful, you can expect them to be posted by the end of the week.)

5.  Did I mention that you should shadow a CRNA?

6.  Mentally prepare yourself.  Realize that you will be surrounded by a sea of qualified applicants.  Imagine yourself facing 20 other medical professionals from across a conference table, considering their questions and responding cogently.  Neither situation is likely to be familiar to you - they certainly weren't to me - and creating a mental picture of the event may help you to avoid unwelcome surprises on the big day.  You can even go one step further and imagine yourself nailing the interview.  I realize that sounds corny.  But many noteworthy athletes, such as Tiger Woods and Michael Jordan (go Tar Heels!), regularly visualize themselves achieving their goals, and just look where it got them:





7.  Know what makes you a unique and desirable candidate.  Why would it be a grave mistake for your school of choice to overlook you?  Compose a statement that will sell these qualities to the members of the interview committee.  You will often be asked at the end of an interview if you have anything else to add.  (Note: you should always have something else to add!)  Use that time to really sell yourself.  Even if you aren't directly asked for a parting statement, you can and should request the opportunity to highlight any overlooked attributes before walking out of the room. 

8.  Follow-up with a timely, hand written thank you note.  Maybe my business background is to blame, but this is a no-brainer to me.  I'm consistently shocked at how often this simple but impactful gesture is overlooked.

...and I'm spent!

I really hope that all this information didn't frighten you into ditching your CRNA dreams in favor of moving to Greenland.  (That would be an unfortunate decision, as one of the many life lesson's I've learned from The Mighty Ducks trilogy is that "Greenland is covered with ice, and Iceland is very nice!")  Yes, grad school interviews are nerve-racking and uncomfortable, and yes, you will have butterflies.  But you'll get through it, just as I did.

(Oh, and at the risk of overloading you with sports footage, take a look at the following video whenever you're lacking inspiration or confidence.  Anything is possible, my friends.  Anything.)



[Click on photo for source information]

  1. gravatar

    # by Dave - October 13, 2009 at 9:07 PM

    that last vid was awesome.

  2. gravatar

    # by Amy - October 18, 2009 at 5:39 AM

    I'm glad you liked it, Dave! I wish more news stories were like this one.