Summer SPA Day

I completed my online Law & Policy course last week.  fortunately, someone was kind enough to snap a photo of me after I submitted my last lame discussion board posting:

One should always wear a sports bra and shin
guards when engaging in rigorous schoolwork.

In other news, my classmates and I were put through the ringer last week during another simulation experience hosted by our program administrators.  This was very similar to our first "SPA Day" that took place in October of last year. When we were first told we would have a spa day, all us girls in the class became giddy with excitement.  We were pretty exhausted from the constant strain of school and the thought of massages, facials, and pedicures was exactly what we needed, thankyouverymuch.  It was then explained to us that SPA stood for "Simulated Patient Assessment", and our little hearts sank.  While not as enjoyable as a massage, our Fall SPA day helped us to prepare for our first clinical rotations which were scheduled to begin the following week.  We arrived at the hospital's simulated exam rooms and read the charts on the door.  Upon entering, we were greeted by a patient (really a hired actor) who played the part of a sick individual.  Each exam room was fitted with a one-way mirror so that our instructors could monitor and assess our interactions with the patient.  After 15 minutes, the instructor would enter the exam room and critique our performance.

This SPA day was similar but focused on the obstetric patient.  Following our assessment in the exam room in which we determined whether we would perform an epidural, spinal, or general anesthesia for our patient requiring an emergent cesarean section, we were grouped with other students who made the same decision.  Each group then headed to the SIM Lab, where we actually performed our scenario on a simulated patient.*  Below is a photo of me and my actor/patient, snapped by my program director.  

Fortunately, we are not graded on our posture  or
I would have failed this assignment miserably.

SPA days are always a bit nerve-racking.  Performing an assessment for the first time on another human being - while being watched from behind a mirror, no less - is uncomfortable to say the least.  But regardless of its shortcomings, SPA days really do help me to identify my weaknesses and result in a greater level of comfort with patient assessment in the hospital setting, when my performance really matters.


* UNFORTUNATE UPDATE: I chose spinal... and our patient died.  I can't wait to embark on my real OB rotation, as I'm clearly a natural and not intimidated by OB anesthesia at all after this experience!