Mission Trip Photo Diary

Where have I been, you might ask?  Oh, I've just been SAVING THE WORLD.  Starting in the city of Barahona, located on the southern coast of the Dominican Republic.  Photos from the mission trip are below!

My travel companion, Becky, and I arrive in Santo Domingo.  Here we will board the bus for our 4 hour drive to Barahona. :-/ 

View from our hotel in Barahona


The beach beside our hotel.  The rocky shores create the most interesting sound as each wave recedes!

 Our daily transport from the hotel to the hospital.  Safety first!

A photo of my classmate, Laura, and me right after we changed from our street clothes into our scrubs.  So much for clean clothes!

The anesthesia area of the stockroom... we were very fortunate to have access to so many drugs on a mission trip!



A video tour of the Barahona Hospital OR.  Warning: Multiple surgeries shown, proceed with caution!
 

 Me, gettin' down to business.

Notice the makeshift "chair" I crafted from a nearby metal container.  If you ain't resourceful, ya ain't comfortable!

 Photo of the holding room, where patients and their families waited before walking back to the OR for surgery.
Our team delivered shoes and toys to patients at the hospital

A typical inpatient ward

I got to scrub in on a hysterectomy case!  I'm now a pro at manhandling uteruses (uteri?)


It wasn't all work and no play.  This video shows one of our interpreters goofing around.

Laura and I on the road to Batay 7, one of the local sugarcane farming villages inhabited predominantly by Hatians

The inhabitants of Batay 7 ran outside to greet our truck as we arrived to host a wellness clinic

Kandy (CRNA), Evan (Kandy's son), and I set up the "pharmacy" at Batay 7

Touring the Batay.  All the children fought over who got to hold our hands as we walked through the streets.

The kids enjoyed showing off by swimming and roughhousing in the community irrigation ditch.

The children adore having their picture taken!  They beg you to take a picture (often posing with a straight face) and love to see the digital image.  

Serving the Dominican people on a medical mission trip was educational, exhausting, and super duper fun.  I had the chance to hone my skills as an independent anesthesia provider, performed roles (like scrubbing in!) that I would never have the opportunity to do at home, and made some great friends during the week-long experience.  I hope everyone with the opportunity to practice abroad takes it - you won't regret it!