A Note To Myself

Tomorrow I graduate from anesthesia school.  

Wowzers.

It's been a long road. One that began in 2004 with a corporate retail job that I hated, which led me to register for and Anatomy and Physiology course on practically a whim. Close to 8 years and a LOT of loans later, I hold a nursing degree in one hand and am ready to accept my graduate degree in the other.  Screw intelligence, creativity, and skill... Persistence is where it's at, people!

I've been slowly packing up my apartment over the past week or so and came across a letter that I wrote on the first day of anesthesia school. Our assignment was to pen an encouraging letter to ourselves, which would be returned by our program administrators at the half-way point in school.  I think it's just as fitting now, so I've rewritten it below.  For those of you who are reading this and still in anesthesia school - or at any stage of the game, for that matter - I hope this helps you along on your quest.


August 26, 2009

Wow... you are half-way there! As you look back on your life over the past 12 months, I don't doubt that you'll remember the many hardships and struggles you've had to overcome. While this is expected, I want you to remember two things: 1. You have to pay to play!  The difficulties you face now are signs of the rewards you'll reap as a member of a profession you are passionate about. 2. Life, regardless of where you're at or what you're doing at the time, is full of stressors.  Being an SRNA is a roller coaster ride, but at least you have trustworthy operators, a great group of fellow passengers, and can see the end of the track. Despite the inevitable ups and downs of anesthesia school, this is exactly where you want to be.


... Now, go out there and make me proud!

Love,
Your Past Self