WTF

 (That's Wednesday, Thursday, Friday... What did you think I meant?)

This week has been looking up.*  After my challenging day in the OR on Monday, I have to admit that I was dreading Wednesday, when I would return to the scene of the crime.  I was very fortunate to be assigned with Cheryl as my CRNA and Dr. Guidetti as my attending anesthesiologist.  Both were wonderfully supportive and incredible educators.  Cheryl let me take the wheel, so to speak, during our first case of the day.  Dr. Guidetti walked me through the intubation step-by-step, offering his guidance and pointers along the way.  I'm proud to say that I have seen the chords... and they were glorious!  (Though in reality, they were pretty ugly... the patient was a smoker and his vocal chords were all grey and nasty looking.)  I left for home later that day having regained the chunk of confidence that had gone missing just 48 hours earlier.

Thursday and Friday were just as productive.  I worked with Gary on both occasions and, not only did I learn a ton, but I had so much fun!  He taught me how to properly place an LMA after he witnessed me struggling with the technique early on Friday and I nailed the next one!**  I might not be a delinquent SRNA after all.


An artist's rendition of my hand while
placing an LMA... I'm a muse!

I wonder if these accomplishments and the sense of relief they bring will help to resolve the self-diagnosed angina I've been suffering from over the past week...

* I studied abroad in England in the Spring of 2002.  (Yes, I'm that old.)  I always found the common UK greeting of "are you okay?" to be rather uncomfortable.  I mean, sure, I was tired (late nights at the local pub will do that to you), but I wasn't aware that I looked that rough.  It took me awhile to realize that they weren't expecting a detailed history of my personal life .  A mere "yeah, you?" more than sufficed.  When I told some of my English friends this, they laughed and admitted that they felt the same way when Americans greeted them by asking "what's up?"  At first, all they could think to do was literally look up respond, "ummm, air?"

** "I am a Golden God!!"  (While many (all?) of you may agree, this is actually not true... shocking, I know.  I'm merely quoting the film 'Almost Famous' because, well, it just seems fitting here.) 

[Click on image for source information]