Straight Pimpin'


Who needs scrubs when you have a full-length fur coat,
complete with fur fedora and diamond encrusted timepiece?
 
With the start of clinical, every anesthesia student must face their biggest fear: getting "pimped".  But it doesn't mean what you think it means.  No, pimping in the world of health care is an entirely different beast altogether... Though it too should be illegal.



While I've definitely been verbally tested in the O.R., the questions I've fielded thus far have all related to the topic or patient at hand and were better categorized as teaching tools than straight pimping.  But that all changed this past week.  That's right, guys, I got pimped so hard I was leaving the hospital staying things like "well color me happy, there's a sofa in here for two!" and "big mistake... Big! HUGE!"

Some of the questions?  "Why would a patient's expired oxygen register a few percentage points lower than their inspired O2?" and "Say you have a patient who is undergoing a laparoscopic cholecystectomy.  You notice that their ETCO2 is increasing, but none of the other monitored values have changed.  Increasing the patient's minute volume has no effect in decreasing the CO2.  What is the cause of this issue and should you be concerned?"

I wish I could provide you with the answers but frankly I'm quite busy at the moment, curled up in the fetal position, sucking my thumb and repeatedly asking for my mother.