The Bottom of the Rollercoaster that is Anesthesia School


Wow, folks, sorry for the long hiatus!  I was planning on writing a post over the weekend but my internet connection must have looked at Mother Nature the wrong way because she sent a storm through Winston-Salem that straight up manhandled my connectivity.  And let me just say that living without access to the information superhighway reminded me of my life in 1995, but with less flannel apparel and more assigned reading.  Now, I know what you're thinking: I should have gone to a coffee shop and pilfered their internet.  But what your thoughts have failed to recognize is that I much prefer to use personal hardships as excuses rather than opportunities for growth.  Plus, I don't like coffee.

But all jokes aside, keeping up with the blog has been much more challenging this semester than it was in the fall.  In fact, everything seems to be more challenging this semester.  It's not so much the work load, learning material, or our schedule - those factors have all remained pretty much in line with where they were 6 months ago.  But, strangely enough, I think that's what's different this time around: everything is the same.  (Well, not everything, but what's the point of being a female if you can't shamelessly exaggerate every once in awhile?)  We ran on adrenaline throughout our first semester because everything we did or learned was new and exciting.  We spent those first 4 months getting to know each other while checking off a number of "firsts": first exam, first clinical day, first intubation, first time getting pimped in the OR... the list goes on.  But as we move forward in our learning, the number of firsts continues to dwindle - along with their accompanying shots of adrenaline - and we're now forced to rely on our own will and determination to get us through the challenging times.  

Fortunately, my classmates and I are tough cookies.  (Mmmmm... Cookies.)  Though we've become rather angsty since the start of classes in January, we're hanging in there and helping each other through the roughest months.  I'm looking at you, February. 

kelly kapoor gif Pictures, Images and Photos
Behold, Kelly Kapoor performing "The Baptist NAP Class
of 2011".  Other than the fact that she's not wearing
scrubs or sitting for an exam, she pretty much nailed it.

That being said, I'm going to cheer so loudly upon the arrival of Summer that you're going to think I'm an 8 year-old girl sitting in the front-row at a Justin Bieber concert.  I kid you not.


[Top image from i can read]
[The Office gif from Photobucket]